Caesarean section: General Information
Caesarean section – delivery by surgery and recovering the child through the mother’s abdominal incision. First, cesarean section was performed in 1500. According to statistics, over the past seven years in Ukraine, the caesarean section rate increased from 8% to 13%.
Indications for cesarean section
The main indications for cesarean section:
- large fruit;
- placenta previa;
- fetal abnormalities;
- serious deterioration of the condition of the fetus, such as problems with heart palpitations;
- previous cesarean section;
- weak labor;
- problems with the retina;
- HIV positive woman in labor;
- herpes, etc.
Doctors believe that virtually no one reading can not be the sole reason for an unambiguous choice cesarean. The ultimate solution may need to consult more than one doctor profile and detailed analysis of the expectant mother and the child.
Preparing and conducting cesarean
Cesarean section may be scheduled or emergency. With a planned caesarean section future mother is usually asked not to eat or drink after midnight before your surgery to-day operations.
Caesarean section is performed under anesthesia. Applies to:
- Local anesthesia (epidural or spinal block);
- general anesthesia: a woman in labor will be shipped in medication sleep.
Anesthesia eliminates pain. Will only be possible to feel some pressure, twitching at the uterine incision, removing the baby and the placenta.
Surgery is performed by making an incision on the abdomen and on the wall of the uterus. There are two types of abdominal incision:
- horizontal cut from left to right;
- vertical section from top to bottom.
Incisions on the uterus are:
- Low vertical incision: used in the wrong position as the beginning of a fetus or high vertical incision;
- high vertical incision classic: used in extreme cases when the risk of uterine rupture and bleeding;
- Low cut peppered: used most often provokes the least bleeding, allows for the formation of stronger scars, less likely gaps in the following childbirth.
After removal of the uterus sealed samorasasyvayuschimisya child thread (catgut). The abdomen is closed brackets or cosmetic seams, which also dissipate over time. Usually koperatsiya esareva section takes 40 to 60 minutes.
Depending on the type of anesthesia and the state of women in labor after cesarean child can put on chest mom or dad if it were a partnership delivery.
Complications of cesarean
Caesarean section, like any surgical procedure, complications may have:
- bleeding : their volume usually 2 times more than the natural childbirth;
- infection of the uterus and pelvic organs such as the kidneys, bladder;
- damage to other organs of the abdominal cavity;
- negative reaction to anesthesia: can be expected or unexpected, caused by some diseases, currently often performed epidural anesthesia – it allows you to put baby to the breast after birth;
- reduction of intestinal function: can appear constipation , bloating and other discomfort;
- risk of additional surgeries: bladder surgery, hysterectomy, cesarean delivery in the following;
- fatal, almost 4 times higher than the probability of death than in natural childbirth.
Caesarean section also suggests a more prolonged stay in hospital. Stay in the hospital for caesarean section is not less than 5 days. Six weeks after cesarean, a woman, as in the natural childbirth, should come for a visit to the gynecologist. Pregnancy after cesarean better not to plan before the expiration of 1.5-2 years after surgery.
Hospital care after cesarean
After the surgery the Care giving birth are individual in case of any complications. But as a whole the behavior and care include:
- attachment baby to the breast as soon as the doctor’s permission – is not only an opportunity to contact mom and baby, but also to stimulate the initiation of breastfeeding; ask you to recommend breastfeeding posture that will create less pressure on the incision;
- may need pain relief and drugs to relieve nausea;
- first you will be allowed to drink the water, then a light vegetable broth or grinding, and after can already allow easy diet food;
- likely significant discomfort from uterine contractions, pain;
- bowel problems – need special light diet;
- wear compression stockings – it will prevent varicose veins , blood clots in the legs;
- vaginal bleeding – is the norm even for caesarean section;
- not necessary to lift anything heavier than your child;
- after surgery better get up and start moving as soon as possible, as soon as you allow a doctor.
Do not forget to immediately discuss the kind of cut for your caesarean section elective surgery. This can give you the probability of a natural birth in subsequent times.
Home care after cesarean
After discharge from the hospital the woman needs to maintain a certain mode and at home:
- breastfeeding is allowed;
- shower usually allowed;
- it is not necessary at first to get behind the wheel – it is better to consult a doctor;
- should not raise heavier than your baby in the first weeks after caesarean section;
- sex and insertion of tampons should be deferred until the first examination by a gynecologist after 6 weeks postpartum.
All recommendations that are physician must be observed in order to avoid some of the problems.
There is the possibility of complications while in the home. You need to consult a doctor if you have:
- Bleeding in the seam area;
- joint swelling and increasing redness;
- signs of infection, fever, chills;
- excessive vaginal bleeding, discharge with an unpleasant odor;
- increasing pain or pain that can not be silenced even prescription painkillers;
- increased swelling in the legs, pain;
- rashes on the body;
- shortness of breath, chest pain;
- nausea and vomiting, especially if they go two days after discharge;
- weakness, dizziness, fatigue for a long time.
Caesarean section in Ukraine is carried out for medical reasons on the part of the mother and fetus. Mistakenly think that it is easier and safer way of delivery – no doctor to persuade a caesarean section without medical indication.